Preach the Gospel (Romans 10)
Self righteousness vs. God's righteousness.
God does not extend His great invitation silently.
All Christians are to be actively involved in evangelism.
1. Genuine Christians have an inner desire for the lost to be saved.
The Holy Spirit resides within every genuine Christian. (
Jn 14:16,17, 1Co 3:16, 1Co 6:19,20, Eph 2:19-22, 2Ti 1:14)
The Holy Spirit testifies about Christ. (
Jn 15:26, Jn 16:13,14, Ac 1:8)
Genuine Christains pray for the lost. (
Isa 56:7, 1Ti 2:1)
Not praying for the lost is a sin of ommission. (
1Sa 12:22,23, Jas 4:17)
2. One may be zealous for God, but be ignorant of His true character. (
Mt 7:21-23, Mt 15:7-9, Tit 1:16)
Zeal - "an eagerness of desire to accomplish or obtain some object" (Webster's Dictionary 1828)
One may be zealous for God's word, but hold to unbiblical doctrines. (
3. Self righteousness is characterized by:
Weak awareness of personal sin and the need for God's salvation. (
Lk 18:10-12, Rev 3:14,17)
Reliance upon works of the law to achieve righteousness. (
Isa 57:12, Ro 9:31-33, Gal 3:10,11)
The internal, corrupt state of the heart is not changed. (
Mt 23:25-27, 2Ti 3:1-5)
Obedience is a task - Something you have to do.
Following one's own way, rather than submitting to God's will. (
Ps 81:13-16, Pr 14:12)
God's righteousness is characterized by:
Strong awareness of personal sin and the need for God's salvation. (
Reliance upon Christ to receive His righteousness. (
Php 3:9, Tit 3:5,6)
The indwelling Christ changes our heart. (
1Co 2:16, 2Co 3:18, 2Co 5:17)
Obedience is a desire - Something you want to do. (
Ps 119:47,174, Jn 14:15, Ro 7:22, 1Jn 5:3)
Abandoning one's own way, and following Jesus. (
1Jn 2:6, Rev 14:4)
4. For believers, Christ ended any view of the law as a means of righteousness.
Rather, Christ is the goal (end result) of the law. (
Rather, Christ is the fulfillment (highest example) of the law. (
Mt 5:17, Ro 8:3,4 compare 1Jn 2:6)
5. To achieve righteouness through the law, one would have to have a perfect record of obedience. (
Lev 18:5, Gal 3:10-14, Jas 2:10)
Only Jesus kept the law perfectly. (
Jn 15:10, Heb 4:15) ( Ro 3:23, 1Jn 1:8)
6. Genuine faith does not require personally seeing Christ in heaven. (
7. Genuine faith does not require personally seeing Christ's resurrection. (
8. Genuine faith springs forth as the word of God is planted within the heart of the believer. (
Therefore, God's servants need to preach His word.
9. Genuine faith involves both an internal conviction and an external declaration.
10. Righteousness is the result of faith in the indwelling Christ. (
Confessing Jesus is a natural result of such faith. (
Jn 15:26 compare 1Th 5:19)
Therefore, confessing Jesus is evidence of genuine salvation. (compare
Mt 10:32 and Lk 12:8)
11. Regardless of our sinful past, Jesus will cleanse and transform us such that we no longer need be ashamed. (
Ps 103:12, Isa 1:18, Isa 38:17, Isa 43:25, Isa 55:7, Eze 18:21,22, Mic 7:19,20, Ac 10:15, Ro 8:1,33,34, Heb 8:12, 1Pe 2:24,25, 1Jn 1:7,9)
Genuine Christians are not ashamed to tell others about Jesus. (
Mk 8:38, Lk 9:26, Ro 1:16)
12. Everyone who sincerely calls upon Jesus is richly rewarded. (
Lk 23:38-43, Eph 1:5-7, Eph 3:6-8, Col 2:2,3, Heb 11:6)
13. All who call upon His name, shall be saved. (compare
Joel 2:31,32, Ac 2:20,21)
14. But, they are unable to call until the gospel is preached to them.
15. God does not extend His great invitation silently.
The good news of Jesus Christ must be preached to all nations. (
Mt 24:14, Rev 14:6)
Those with God's Spirit will boldly preach the good news. (
Jn 15:26, Lk 14:16-23)
Those with God's resources will generously support the good news. (
Lk 6:38, 2Co 9:6,7, 1Pe 4:10)
Those with God's heart will earnestly pray for the good news. (
16. Belief and obedience are directly linked.
Obedience is motivated by love. (
Jn 14:15,21,23, 1Jn 5:3)
Obedience allows spirituality. (
Faith and love are manifested in works. (
1Th 1:3, Heb 6:10, Jas 2:20-22)
17. It is the word of God, the Bible, that is to be preached.
We are not to bring human theories. (
Mt 15:3,8,9, Eph 4:14, Col 2:8)
We are not to bring human credentials. (
Ac 4:13, Ac 5:29, 1Co 3:19)
We are to bring the Bible. (
Jn 17:17, Eph 6:17, Rev 11:3,4 the two witnesses are the Old and New Testaments)
The Bible testifies of Jesus. (
Lk 24:27, Jn 5:39,46)
18. The early church spread the gospel everywhere. (
Ac 11:19, Ro 1:8, Ro 15:20,21, Col 1:23, Rev 6:1,2)
This was what Jesus commanded them to do. (
Mt 28:19,20, Ac 1:8)
19,20. God's people have always been expected to proclaim the gospel to all nations. (
Isa 62:1,2, Jer 33:7-9, Mt 5:14, Mt 24:14)
21. Many who claim citizenship in God's kingdom are actually aliens, foreign to God, who hinder the spread of the gospel. (
Isa 65:1-5, Mt 23:13, Rev 3:14-16)
Gainsayer - "One who contradicts or denies what is alledged." (Webster's Dictionary 1828)