Be ye Transformed (Romans 12)
Practice purity of body and mind.
Apply your spiritual gifts.
Overcome evil with good.
1. Our service to God includes keeping our physical body pure.
Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (
1Co 3:16,17, 1Co 6:19,20)
God established diet laws that are equally relevant for our health today. (
Lev 11:46,47, Lev 20:25, Dt 14:3, 1Co 10:31, 2Co 6:17)
We are to abhor and abstain from sexual immorality (lust, fornication, and adultery). (
Mt 5:28, Mt 15:19,20, 1Co 6:9, 1Pe 2:11)
We are to abhor and abstain from alcoholic drinks. (
Pr 20:1, Pr 23:19-21, Pr 23:29-35, Pr 31:4,5, Isa 5:11,12,22, 1Co 6:10, 1Pe 4:7, 1Pe 5:8) (compare 1Th 5:22 with "social" drinking)
Physical purity is an important aspect of overall purity. (
Da 1:8, 2Co 7:1)
2. Our service to God includes bringing our thoughts, attitudes, desires, and actions into conformity with His perfect will.
Our thoughts, attitudes, and desires (
Mt 22:36-40, 1Co 2:16, Heb 11:16)
Our actions (
Mt 7:12, Mt 7:21, Jas 1:22, 1Jn 2:6, 1Jn 3:7)
The pattern of the world is not to be our pattern. (
1Co 2:12, 2Co 6:17, Php 2:15, Col 2:8, Jas 1:27, Jas 4:4, 1Jn 2:15,16, 1Jn 5:4)
3. We are to remain humble, even if God gives us apparently greater abilities for ministry. (
Pr 16:5, Jas 4:6)
Faith is measured by works and fruits. (
Mt 13:3-9, Eph 2:8-10, Jas 2:17-26)
God is the source of all spiritual gifts, which allow us to be fruitful. (
Jn 15:5, 1Co 12:1,4,11, Gal 2:20, Eph 4:11-13, Php 2:13)
As we align with God's will, true faith results in a progressive yield from God. (
Mt 25:28,29, Lk 17:5,6, Jn 15:2)
4. The members of God's church serve a variety of different functions. (
5. Under Christ's leadership, many diverse roles work together in holistic harmony to form His body on earth, His one and only true church. (
Jn 10:16, Jn 17:20-23, Eph 1:22,23, Eph 4:4, 1Co 12:13-20, Col 1:18)
6. God's bestowal of spiritual gifts is not based on individual merit or superiority.
The use we make of our spiritual gifts is an indicator of our faith.
7-8. We are expected to apply the specific spiritual gifts we receive. (compare
Mt 13:12, Mt 25:14-30)
9. We are to practice genuine love, rather than putting on a feigned veneer. (
Mt 9:36-38, Jas 2:15,16)
We are to abhor evil. (
We are to cleave to that which is good. (
Ps 23:6, Ps 31:19, Ps 37:27)
10. God's people are part of one world-wide family. (
Mt 12:47-50, Jn 1:12,13, Ro 9:8, 2Th 2:1, 1Ti 5:1,2, 1Pe 2:17, Rev 7:4,9)
11. We are to be diligent workers. (
Ex 20:9, 2Th 3:10)
We work for God, rather than men. (
We are to be zealous for God. (
1Co 14:12, 1Th 5:19, 1Pe 4:7,8,11, Rev 3:15,16,19)
12. We are to be joyful because of our faith in God's promises for our future. (
We are to patiently endure the sometimes painful paths that lead to our future. (
1Pe 1:7, 1Pe 4:12,13)
We are to continue in instant (urgent) prayer. (
Isa 56:7, 1Ti 2:1, 2Th 3:1)
Instant - "Pressing; urgent." (Webster's Dictionary 1828)
Instant - Something that is so important it must be addressed immediately.
13. We are to share with other needy Christians. (
Ac 2:44,45, Gal 6:10)
We are to invite others into our homes in order to build relationships. (
Heb 13:2, 1Pe 4:9)
14. We are to bless those who persecute us. (
15. Be sensitive and responsive to the feelings of others. (
16. Find agreement with others. (
Do not seek company based on external appearance or material status. (
Do not rely on your own wisdom. (
Pr 3:5,6, Pr 12:15, Isa 5:21)
17. We are to control our reactions to evil attacks.
We should respond calmly, wisely, honestly, and with love.
18. We are to practice the peaceful example set by Jesus. (
Isa 9:6, Mt 5:9, Lk 3:22, Jn 14:27, Gal 5:22, Heb 12:14)
19. Jesus is the Judge (God has delegated all judgment to Him). (
Jn 5:22,23, Ac 17:30,31, 2Co 5:10)
God will recompense all evil doers who do not repent of their ways. (
Mal 4:1-3, 2Th 1:6-9, 2Pe 3:7-9, Rev 14:9-11, Rev 21:8, Rev 20:15)
Mercy is available until the close of probation. (
Mt 20:1-15, 1Jn 1:7-9, Rev 22:10-12)
The majority will reap destruction. (
Mt 7:13,14, Lk 13:22-24)
The majority will not be ready. (
Lk 17:26-30, Rev 6:15-17)
When the door shuts, it will not be re-opened. (
Mt 25:10-13, Lk 13:25-28)
20. We might be the only example of Jesus our enemy will ever encounter.
Through our loving response, we can allow the Holy Spirit to work on their mind (and heart).
"Coals of fire" here represents the work of the Holy Spirit. (compare
Isa 6:1-7 and Pr 25:21,22)
21. We are to overcome evil with good.
We are to be overcomers within our self. (
Jn 16:33, 1Jn 5:4, Rev 2:7,11,17,26, Rev 3:5,12,21, Rev 21:7)
We are to be overcomers for others through our example and witness. (
Pr 11:30, Mt 5:16)