The God of Peace (Romans 16)
We are to be in Christ.
We are to beware of false doctrines.
Disobedience to the will of God is the great malignancy.
To achieve true peace, the God of peace sacrificed His Son.
True faith is characterized by loving obedience.
1. Our sister - in the family of God. (
Mt 12:46-50, 1Ti 5:1,2)
Servant of the church.
2. ... in the Lord
3. ... in Christ Jesus
4. These brave women endangered their own lives to save God's messenger.
5. firstfruits ... unto Christ
6. This selfless woman expended much time and effort to assist God's messengers.
7. ... in Christ before me
8. ... in the Lord
9. ... helper in Christ
10. ... approved in Christ
11. ... in the Lord
12. ... labour in the Lord, ... laboured much in the Lord
13. ... in the Lord
14. ... the brethren - of the family of God.
15. ... all the saints
16. ... churches of Christ
What does it mean to be "in Christ"?
In - "In denotes present or inclosed, surrounded by limits; as in a house; ... It denotes present in any state; as in sickness or in health." (Webster's Dictionary 1828)
Christ is the Door by which we enter into the spiritual world. (
Jn 10:9, Jn 3:3-8, Ro 8:1, Rev 3:6-8)
We are in Christ when we have His mind. (
1Co 2:16, Php 2:5)
We are in Christ when we have His heart. (
Mt 22:37-40, Heb 8:10)
We are in Christ when we allow Him to be in us. (
Jn 17:20-23, Ro 8:9-11, 1Pe 1:10,11, Rev 3:20)
We are in Christ when we are completely transformed by His character. (
2Co 5:17, 2Co 3:18)
We are in Christ when we suffer for Him. (
We are in Christ when we walk in His footsteps. (
Ge 5:22-24, Eph 5:8, 1Jn 2:6, Mt 16:24, Mt 4:18-20)
17. Besides being greetings and praises, verses 1-16 also serve the purpose of assuring the people mentioned in them that they are not the subject of the warnings of verses 17 and 18.
Correct doctrine must be preserved, untainted by the infections of falsehood. (
Mt 15:9, Ac 2:41,42, Eph 4:14, 1Ti 4:1,6,13, 2Ti 3:16, Tit 1:9, Tit 2:7)
Those who cling to and promote false doctrine must be quarantined. (compare
18. Those who seek to mix falsehood and truth are not servants of Christ. (
They are selfish, seeking to satisfy their own wicked desires. (
We must discern the true source of opposition to the truth, beyond all deceptive camouflage. (
19. We must thoroughly understand God's true character and His will for us. (compare
God's word is the written lamp to guide our life. (
God's Son is the living lamp to guide our life. (
Jn 8:12, 1Jn 2:6)
We must not mix evil into our life by deviating from God's will. (
Dt 5:32, Jos 1:7, Da 1:8, Pr 4:26,27)
"simple" [Gr. akeraios (ak-er'-ah-yos)] - "unmixed" (Strong's Dictionary)
20. Peace and love are at the heart of God's perfect kingdom. (
Ge 1:30,31, Ps 29:11, Ps 34:14, Isa 9:6, Isa 55:11-13, Jer 29:11, 1Jn 4:8)
Through free will, a deadly infection entered God's perfect universe. (
God removed the infective agents from Heaven. (
Eze 28:16,17, Rev 12:7-9)
Through free will, the infection agressively spread throughout the earth, proving its malignant nature. (
Ge 2:16,17, Ge 3:1-6, Rev 6:3,4, Rev 12:13-17)
To achieve true peace, the God of peace sent His Son to the battlefield of the earth, to sacrifice His life to gain the victory. (
Isa 25:8, Jn 16:33, 1Co 15:57, 1Jn 5:4)
In order to save as many as possible, God is longsuffering, demonstrating true power through the preaching of the cross. (
Mt 13:24-30,37-39, 1Co 1:18, Col 1:13,14,20, 1Ti 1:15,16, 2Pe 3:7-9)
God's servants, spreading the grace of Christ, are His instruments of healing. (
Ge 3:14,15, Lk 10:1-3,17-20, 2Co 5:18-20)
God will finally erradicate the great malignancy. (
Isa 14:12-15, Rev 19:11,19-21, Rev 20:7-15, Rev 21:4-8)
21. my kinsmen (
Ac 17:26,27, Eph 3:14,15)
Kinsman - "A man of the same race or family; one related by blood." (Webster's Dictionary 1828)
22. ... in the Lord
23. a brother
24. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ is prayerfully requested for all. (
Zec 4:6,7, Eph 2:8,9, Heb 4:14-16, Heb 12:28, Ro 5:20)
25. Although the plan of salvation was announced at the fall and foreshadowed in every aspect of the ceremonial law, it remained a universal mystery until it was fully realized in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. (
Ge 3:15, 1Co 2:7,14, Eph 1:9,10, Eph 3:7-10, Eph 6:19, Col 1:25-27, Col 2:14-17, 1Ti 3:16, 1Pe 1:11,12)
26. The revelation of God's true character and His plan of salvation are now being made know to all nations.
Those who respond exhibit obedience as a natural consequence of their faith and trust in Him. (
Jn 14:15, Rev 12:17, Rev 14:12)
27. The glory of God is revealed through Jesus. (
Heb 1:1-3, Mt 17:1-5)